Now ladies, we all know the feeling of feeling self-conscious about a particular body part, there is nothing worse is there? Oh wait, they’ve decided to name the dreaded body part too, great! You know what I’m talking about… bingo wings!
If you’re someone that once went to give a friend a quick wave goodbye and your upper arm continued to wobble for far too long, I can assure you ladies, you are not alone. Nor do you have to put up with them.
Would you like to know what you can do about it? Then keep on reading, as we reveal all.
What is the cause of bingo wings and why do we get them?
The dreaded wings often start to appear when we have an imbalance of skin to muscle mass. Sometimes this is the result of not having enough muscle, whilst it can also be a result of having lost weight quite rapidly, not giving your skin enough time to adapt to your new body.
Sadly, when muscle mass is off balance, or also when fat loss happens quickly without toning up at the same time, gravity works its evil magic to form those awful bingo wings.
Also Read: Our favorite five belly toning exercises to do after losing weight
We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn’t stop there either. As we age, our bodies naturally lose muscle mass, which can also mean a weakening of connective tissues. From around our mid twenties, our body’s collagen starts to break down, resulting in our skin losing that firmness.
Not only this but the muscle cells that give our skin that extra elasticity also start to shrink. This combination means it’s common to notice a little sagging here and there. I know right, as if we didn’t have enough going on!
Plus, from a genetics viewpoint, if you suffer from weak connective tissue, those dreaded ‘bingo wings’ could show up a little sooner than we may normally expect them to.
If you feel a little bemused, or perhaps you know by some other term, ‘bingo wings’ refers to skin that somewhat droops at the bottom of your upper arm, just below your biceps. If you’re not sure if you have bingo wings, do a big wave and see if that part of your arm keeps happily swaying away!
Now you’ve read all that, you want to know how to get rid of them right? Keep reading.
Wave goodbye to bingo wings, the how
If you’re worried that your arms are feeling a bit saggy, don’t fret, as you’re certainly not alone! There is good news, there is something you can do about it, and that this is strength training.
Think back to when we talked about the causes of bingo wings? Well, whether it was a rapid weight loss combined with a lack of toning up or a lack of muscle mass, we’ve got you sorted.
Also Read: Is walking enough to support your weight loss goals?
Strength training can actually work to counteract that dreaded droop, and whether in the gym or at home, you can get started right away.
In order to fight off the sag, you need effective and targeted arm exercises to support and tighten those arm muscles, which will then naturally lift this area to combat bingo wings. Clever isn’t it ladies?
Whilst of course, it’s always recommended that you train your upper body in general, but targeting those arms is especially important here! Sadly, this is not something we can fix overnight… So this is definitely something you’re going to have to commit to long-term! Alongside these regular workouts, it’s important to watch your diet, hydration, and ensure you’re eating a variety of foods. I’m sorry, if you want the bingo wings gone, you’re going to have to put the cookies away.
I know it can be difficult to curb those cravings, but Phengold is here to help with that!
Which muscles should you be working on?
Bingo wings are stubborn flab, and in order to fight them off or prevent them making an appearance in the first place, you should be focussing on the below muscles:
- Biceps / Musculus biceps brachii: The counterpart to the triceps, the bicep sits just above the bingo wing and can be seen/activated when you pull your arm towards your chest – especially prominent during pull-ups or push-ups and other bicep exercises
Triceps / Musculus triceps brachii: The triceps run along the back of the upper arm, working to pull the flexed forearm backwards
7 top exercises to fight off those bingo wings
Are you ready to work off those bingo wings? Oh yes, you are! The next seven exercises are essential for toning your arm muscles, without gaining huge arms. Obviously, if you’d like to then by all means do!
These can be easily done whilst you’re at the gym, or fit into your routine at home. The important thing here is to execute it correctly in order for you to control each movement and work the right muscles. Start off with more reps and lighter weights, before increasing the weight as you see appropriate.
- Get yourself into a normal forearm plank, ensure that your elbows are below your shoulders. Don’t forget to tighten your abs and glutes.
- From this pose, rise upwards, moving up from your forearms into a high plank, then returning to your forearms and repeat.
- Get hold of a dumbbell in each hand and place your hands up by your shoulders, ensuring that your palms are facing forward. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and engage that core, ladies!
- Next, press the weights up over your head in a controlled and straight motion, then slowly lower down to the starting position and repeat.
Close-grip push ups
- To start, get yourself down on the ground into a high push up position, making sure to keep your hands below your shoulders and fingers pointing forwards. Don’t forget to engage that all important core.
- Next, bend your arms slowly and lower your body down until you’re almost touching the floor. Keep your elbows close to your body, then return to the start and repeat.
- Start by standing upright with your knees slightly bent and engage your core. Then grip a dumbbell in each hand and let your arms dangle at your sides,with your palms facing you.
- To move, lock your shoulder blades and relax your neck, raise your arms beside you, with your elbows straight. Move them at a steady and controlled pace until your hands are at shoulder height, then return to the start and repeat.
- Start by supporting yourself with your hands behind you either on the edge of a weight bench or something sturdy at home. Keeping your arms behind you, and your fingers facing forward, your elbows rotated slightly inwards. Then either keep your legs slightly bent or stretch them out.
- Whilst keeping your back straight, slowly lower your body downwards. But don’t sit down! Then press your way back up without allowing your elbows to fully extend.
TIP: The further away your feet are, the more intense the exercise will be.
- Get yourself a dumbbell in each hand and stand up straight with your feet hip-width apart, keeping your core and abs tight.
- With your arms at your sides, grip the dumbbell with your palms facing upwards, lock your upper arms and bend at the elbow to move the weight towards your chest. Don’t go swinging them about, though! Also, don’t forget to tense your tricep at the lowest point of the move before starting the next rep.
Also Read: How to stop dreaded bloating
- For tricep extensions, you’re going to need a single dumbbell and then grip it with both hands.
- Start by lifting the dumbbell behind your head, keeping your upper arms by your ears and your elbows pointing forwards, don’t let them close in beside your ears.
- Now, keep your torso upright and engage your core. Then keep your shoulder blades in place, tense those triceps and bring the dumbbell upwards towards your neck but without moving your upper arms. Return to the start and repeat.
Banishing bingo wings – the long and short of it
If you’re getting really fed up with those saggy bingo wings, these tips will have you well on your way to waving goodbye to them in no time at all!
Remember though, it won’t change overnight and it’s vital to combine regular workouts (targeting those all-important triceps and biceps) with a healthy, balanced diet. If you feel like you need a little extra support in your fitness journey, have you considered how PhenGold may help?
Our 100% natural, multi-action formula speeds up weight loss naturally, helping you lose weight quickly and effectively.